Permanent Part-Time English Instructor
|Title:||Permanent Part-Time English Instructor|
|Department:||Arts and Sciences|
|Job Type:||Part-Time Curriculum|
DescriptionPermanent Part-time English Instructor
needed at Carteret Community College. Minimum qualifications: Master’s degree in English. Consideration will also be given those with a Master’s degree in a related field plus 18 graduate hours in English. The individual should have at least two years of experience teaching English at the college level, as well as experience using the Moodle learning management system. Knowledge, skills, and abilities: the ability to teach writing and literature courses; the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, community groups, and others; the ability to work independently and meet work deadlines; the ability to communicate effectively; the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities. Permanent part-time 10 month position; hiring salary range: $2,169.00 to $2,264.00 monthly. Teaching assignments include developmental and college level English courses in the day or evening in the classroom and online. This position is a 20 hour/week position with a 12 hour teaching load and the remaining hours are office and other instructional duties. Deadline for applying is May 10, 2013. Position Start Date is August 1, 2013.
Statement of Primary Purpose
|An instructor will conduct college courses for undergraduate students by performing the following duties.
|Teaching and Learning:
- Assume responsibility for teaching assignments including College Preparation and College Transfer English classes as recommended by the curriculum area coordinator and approved by the division director.
- Facilitate the learning process by designing and implementing instructional activities that are appropriate and meaningful.
- Adhere to the departmental course guidelines and ensure that content covers SACS-approved competencies.
- Assume responsibility for maintaining all required college records including attendance and grade reports, roll books, etc.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments where applicable.
- Evaluate student performance using methods appropriate to the course.
- Maintain, review, and update course descriptions, objectives, and outlines for courses of instruction and develop new courses of study as necessary.
- Make recommendations to curriculum area coordinator for selection of supplies, equipment, equipment repairs, textbooks for courses of study, and the scheduling of classroom and laboratory facilities.
- Participate in departmental activities relative to revising and updating the program(s) in the area of expertise.
- Assist with the development of new programs in the area of expertise.
- Teach online.
- Develop a professional development plan that is approved by the curriculum area coordinator and then the division director and participate in those activities that achieve approved professional development activities.
- Maintain current licensure, certification, or other professional credentials required for position.
- Keep abreast of current technology.
- Attend workshops, conferences, and professional meetings.
- Participate in on-campus professional development activities.
- Adhere to all institutional policies and procedures.
- Attend all required department, division, and college-wide meetings.
- Serve on committees as required.
- Participate in college-wide activities.
- Maintain contact with specialized vocations where applicable.
- Be alert to public relations opportunities and use these to promote the college and the department.
- Assist in planning and conducting advisory committee meetings.
Working Conditions and Environment (i.e., necessary travel, unusual work hours, unusual environmental conditions, etc.)
Ability to accommodate a flexible working schedule – day and evening classes. Limited travel within service area. Teaching online required.
This position description covers the most essential functions and duties associated with this position. Other duties may be assigned by the President or appropriate supervisory personnel. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications