|Department:||Arts and Sciences|
needed at Carteret Community College. Minimum qualifications: A Master’s degree with 18 graduate hours in Spanish is required for those teaching courses that transfer to the NC University System. Preference will be given to those with a Master’s degree in Spanish plus 18 graduate hours in English. Teaching and administrative experience leading to this level of responsibility. Community college teaching experience is preferred. Demonstration of skills in the areas of: communication, organization, and managing multiple priorities; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, community groups, and others; and demonstrated ability to work within a collaborative team environment. Knowledge of Moodle is preferred. Permanent, full-time ten-month position with salary range: $4,338 to $4,534 monthly. Apply online at www.carteret.edu. Transcripts must be submitted for employment consideration. Deadline for applying is April 4, 2014. Position Start Date is August 1, 2014. Contingent upon Budget Approval
Affirmative Action Statement
|Statement of Primary Purpose
|An instructor will conduct college courses for undergraduate students by performing the following duties:
|Essential Functions and Responsibilities
|Teaching and Learning:
- Assume responsibility for teaching assignments as recommended by the curriculum area coordinator and approved by the division director.
- Facilitate the learning process by designing and implementing instructional activities that are appropriate and meaningful.
- Fulfill the duties of clinical or lab instructor in supervision of students as applicable.
- Adhere to the departmental course guidelines and ensure that content covers SACS-approved competencies.
- Assume responsibility for maintaining all required college records including attendance and grade reports, roll books, learning outcomes, etc.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments where applicable.
- Evaluate student performance using methods appropriate to the course.
- Use Moodle.
- Maintain, review, and update syllabi, course descriptions, objectives, and outlines for courses of instruction and develop new courses of study as necessary.
- Make recommendations to curriculum area coordinator for selection of supplies, equipment, equipment repairs, textbooks for courses of study, and the scheduling of classroom and laboratory facilities.
- Participate in departmental activities relative to revising and updating the program(s) in the area of expertise.
- Assist with the development of new programs in the area of expertise.
- Develop and teach traditional, web enhanced, hybrid and online classes.
- Develop and maintain Spanish placement tests.
- Provide assistance to advisees.
- Participate in department, division and college-wide advising activities.
- Learn and maintain proficiency with program requirements of assigned advisees.
- Use the computer and the college’s student information system to assist advisees.
- Follow up on all assigned advisees.
- Attend training sessions relative to advising.
- Develop a professional development plan that is approved by the curriculum area coordinator and then the division director and participate in those activities that achieve approved professional development activities.
- Maintain current licensure, certification, or other professional credentials required for position.
- Keep abreast of current technology.
- Attend workshops, conferences, and professional meetings.
- Participate in on-campus professional development activities.
- Adhere to all institutional policies and procedures.
- Attend all required department, division, and college-wide meetings.
- Serve on committees as required.
- Participate in college-wide activities.
- Maintain contact with specialized vocations where applicable.
- Be alert to public relations opportunities and use these to promote the college and the department with approval.
- Assist in planning and conducting advisory committee meetings.
||A Master’s degree with 18 graduate hours in Spanish is required for those teaching courses that transfer to the NC University System. Preference will be given to those with a Master’s degree in Spanish plus 18 graduate hours in English.
|Knowledge and Skills
||Teaching and administrative experience leading to this level of responsibility. Community college teaching experience is preferred. Demonstration of skills in the areas of: communication, organization, and managing multiple priorities; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, community groups, and others; and demonstrated ability to work within a collaborative team environment. Knowledge of Moodle is preferred.
|Working Conditions and Environment (i.e., necessary travel, unusual work hours, unusual environmental conditions, etc.)
|This position requires a flexible working schedule – day and evening classes are required every semester. Limited travel within service area. Developing and teaching online courses is required. Moodle is our current platform.
|This position requires the ability to operate computers, projectors and equipment used in teaching.
|This position description covers the most essential functions and duties associated with this position. Other duties may be assigned by the President or appropriate supervisory personnel. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary.
Carteret Community College shall offer equal opportunity to its employees, applicants for employment, and students without regard to handicap, race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex or age (except where age or sex is a bonafide occupational qualification). Applicants will be judged solely on the basis of meeting the requirements of the position
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications